Single device tree blob between linux and u-boot

Xo Wang xow at google.com
Fri Oct 14 05:20:02 AEDT 2016

Hi folks,

I saw Cedric had mentioned "...you can use the linux compiled [dtb]
and dd it at the end of the u-boot
partition..."

To provide the device tree to u-boot, should we do what Cedric said
and also pass the address of the DTB from U-Boot to Linux? According
to these slides:

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/petazzoni-device-tree-dummies.pdf

U-Boot can pass the DTB address to Linux in r2 (p. 6) with the right
bootm command parameters.

This means we can have U-Boot and Linux use the same DTB binary (I
prefer built in Linux) rather than each source tree building one.

Then we can remove the CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB option in our Linux
build that is described as a legacy "compatibility" mechanism. We also
avoid having an extra copy of the DTSs in U-Boot source and avoid
duplicate DTBs in our image.

Thoughts?

cheers
xo