Restricting HOST flash access on OpenBMC

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Nov 22 07:45:53 AEDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-11-21 at 09:47 -0800, Rick Altherr wrote:
> How does this work on non-LPC platforms?

A different mechanism such as IPMI can still be used on these.

This is basically a replacement for the code we have today which
uses a backdoor into the BMC address space to directly manipulate
the flash controller from the host.

That current mechanism is tricky, causes us to have at least 4 copies
of the whole flash controller driver, and relies on a backdoor that
we would like to close.

In the grand scheme of things, you can see this as an "accelerated"
path to the flash for platforms that have an AST BMC on LPC, but you
can still fallback to something like IPMI if that path isn't
available.

Cheers,
Ben.