Refactoring skeleton flash control

Abhishek Pandit abhishekpandit at google.com
Tue Nov 15 06:09:30 AEDT 2016

Hey Adriana,

I'm planning on refactoring the skeleton flash update code and pulling it
out into it's own repo (openbmc/phosphor-flash-control).

I've started with how I think the dbus interface should behave:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/1166/.

The overall plan for the flash interface in my head:

   - REST (or some other) interface receives image + signature to update
   flash
      - Gets saved to filesystem and flash control is called
   - Flash control loads the files into memory and verifies the signature
      - Reference implementation would probably just be pgp
   - Flash control locks the flash device
      - This needs some more thought and probably new dbus interfaces;
      important for host flash
   - Image written to flash
   - Lock on flash device released
   - Signal asserted (Done)

---

For the most part, I don't think I'll rewrite too much of the existing
skeleton code except to have it use the c++ bindings (continue using
libflash and existing MTD devices for bmc update).

Locking the host flash would require some additional thought since
currently it's accessible directly and a mailbox approach would also
require some way to lock the flash when doing read/write.

--

Please take a look at the gerrit. I'll start adding some more information
around locking + signing this week.

Abhishek