Add new machine

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Fri Nov 11 09:35:55 AEDT 2016

Hi Tiju,

On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 21:08 +0000, Tiju Jacob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a new machine made and most of the code is leveraged from
> Wedge100.

>  I would like to submit code back to Openbmc git hub.

Great!

We have been working with Facebook to try consolidate efforts, as
this OpenBMC project (https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/) is not quite
the same* as Facebook's OpenBMC (https://github.com/facebook/openbmc/)
where Wedge100 can be found.

Regarding submitting code, OpenBMC's presence on github is primarily
for distribution and issue tracking. We're using Gerrit to manage
patches for OpenBMC-owned projects:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/q/status:open

> I would like to create a new machine like ‘meta-wedge100’ with most
> of the references back to wedge100 and keep only the changes in the
> new machine directory.
>
> Could someone please suggest how to go about it? Also, is there a
> standard step by step method by which we can achieve this?

I'm one of the kernel/qemu hackers on the project so Yocto and its
layers aren't really my area of knowledge, but I expect we would have
to pull Facebook's layers into our openbmc/openbmc repo for you to
build on. I don't know if that's something we would do: Patrick and
Brad (now in To:) might be able to help you out here.

Cheers,

Andrew

> Thanks and Regards,
> Tiju

* We're working primarily on enabling OpenPOWER machines with an open
source BMC. We happen to use the same SoC series (AST2400/AST2500) as
Facebook, so there's a lot of cross-over in u-boot/Linux but the
userspace is fairly different.