U-Boot upstreaming

Maxim Sloyko maxims at google.com
Fri Nov 4 07:44:58 AEDT 2016

Hi Cedric,

My manager (Rick Alther) mentioned that you were working on some minimal
"upstreamable" commit for Aspeed in U-Boot. How far were you able to get?

This is also what I was thinking of doing, so we should be able to join
forces on this.

I talked to Simon Glass recently (he's an active contributor to mainline
U-Boot) and basically that's the path that he also recommended -- just
getting minimal amount of code in, that can just boot to a prompt. He also
said that DRAM driver would have to be part of it.

So, the way I see it, there are two big chunks of work here:
 1. Setting up the whole structure. This would include actually adding a
board, minimum amount of supporting code, debug serial console init,
 2. DDR3/DDR4 driver. This is the biggest part of what we have in
platform.S now. A lot of work, but relatively straightforward, just rewrite
~1.5k lines of assembly in C.

Personally, I don't have preference on who does what, as long as we don't
step on each other's toes. It would probably be easier for me to take (1),
because I can easily talk to two people who are in our time zone and have a
lot of mainline U-Boot experience.

Thoughts?

--
*M*axim *S*loyko