Opinions on CLI tools.

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 01:00:28 AEDT 2016

I still feel like we're doing a lot of "developer-biased" decision
making here.  We're going to have people in the lab and other general
users of obmc that shouldn't have to understand the details of our
implementation of things like service states and such.

As a general user of a system with an obmc, I want to simply know "Is
everything running as expected"  "Is the system in a state where it
can perform it's intended function"
And also, I want a simple command to "put it in the state where it can
do it's intended function".

This to me is a lot like all of our software design principles,
abstract the details away!  I don't care how the stl implements a
vector, I just want a vector.  If I'm writing the stl implementation
then obviously I care about it's details.

But, the above was definitely not the consensus last week in the
workshop.  I know what will happen, at least in the lab here in IBM,
people will write their own wrappers, they'll put them in shared
locations for others to use, and we'll then start getting issues
opened against us with people using those wrappers.

Luckily, this is a fairly easy issue to solve it becomes a problem (as
I predict), so starting with a design where we do nothing is not the
worst decision :)

Andrew