Support for seven segment display

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Tue Nov 1 14:42:05 AEDT 2016

Hey Jagha,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Jaghathiswari Rankappagounder
Natarajan <jaghu at google.com> wrote:
> The are 3 patches included:

Git provides some nice features when you generate your patches to
send. One of them is --cover-letter, which generates a template for
this first email you're sending.

git format-patch --to=joel at jms.id.au --to=openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org -v
3 --cover-letter -o mypatch-v3 origin/master

This will create patches for all the commits between HEAD and
origin/master, with a cover letter, and place them in a directory
called mypatch-v3. The cover letter is just a template; you can fill
out the subject line and the contents.

You can then use git send-email to send them:

git send-email mypatch-v3/*.patch

> The first patch is a character device driver which implements the user-space
> API for letting a user write to the display including any conversion methods
> necessary to map the user input to a 7-segment display.

I haven't had a chance to take a close look at your patches. Are you
sure you've addressed all of the review from Rick? I can spot a few
things that have not changed that he pointed out.

When reviewing via email, you can chose to reply to all of the points
that your reivewier has made. This is a great idea when starting a new
project as it forces you to think about each comment.

You should certainly include a changelog between versions. In
individual patches you can place some text below the cut line (the --
marker), like this:

v1:
  - Fixed checkpatch errors
  - Reworked init fuction as suggested by Larry

v2:
  - Changed camel case to kernel style

You can use a similar format in the cover letter to describe changes
that affect the entire series, or higher level things.

I suggest having a read of this:

 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

I also suggest finding other people in your office who have worked on
the upstream kernel for advice.

Cheers,

Joel