Flashing U-Boot using DediProg(R) on Aspeed AST2500 EVB

Shay Slobodkin shays at mellanox.com
Mon Jun 27 18:44:01 AEST 2016

Thank you very much guys.

From: Rick Altherr [mailto:raltherr at google.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:35 PM
To: Cédric Le Goater <clg at kaod.org>
Cc: Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au>; Shay Slobodkin <shays at mellanox.com>; openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: Flashing U-Boot using DediProg(R) on Aspeed AST2500 EVB

Xo and I have been using SF100s with AST2500 EVB.  It works OK.  The main gotcha seems to be that after writing to the flash with the SF100, it is left in a state that the AST2500 can't seem to boot from.  Power cycling fixes it.  I haven't spent the time to investigate further.

We have been able to use the tool to recover our systems.
We also had to power cycle the boards after flashing.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Cédric Le Goater <clg at kaod.org<mailto:clg at kaod.org>> wrote:
On 06/17/2016 07:32 AM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> Hi Shay,
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Shay Slobodkin <shays at mellanox.com<mailto:shays at mellanox.com>> wrote:
>> Recently we had some problems with our AST2500 EVB U-Boot.
>>
>> Had several systems gone bad.
>>
>> We want to use the DediProg® tool in order to recover.
>>
>> If you have used this tool, could you please explain briefly how to use it
>> with Aspeed AST2500 EVB?
>
> I've not done this myself on the evb.
>
> Looking at the board, you want header J70 is for the ast2500 boot
> flash. It's a 5 pin connector on the south west area of the board. The
> pins are labeled in the order: CS0, Clock, MOSI, MISO, Ground.

Yes. It works pretty well from a raspberry pi. I also have used a
Flashcat programmer.

You should make sure that the board is not booting from the flash
module. For that you need to unselect the flash chip, CS0 on header J44.

> If you need further help perhaps send a photo of your programmer and
> whatever cables it came with.

and one of your board perhaps. With details of what is around the
flash.

Will send some photos if we ran into any problems.

Thanks again,
Shay

Cheers,

C.