Fw: Need some thoughts on systemd service file

Vishwanatha Subbanna vishwanath at in.ibm.com
Fri Jun 17 21:30:36 AEST 2016

hey Patrick,

Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote on 17/06/2016 12:18:11 am:

> From: Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz>
> To: Vishwanatha Subbanna/India/IBM at IBMIN
> Cc: openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org
> Date: 17/06/2016 12:18 am
> Subject: Re: Fw: Need some thoughts on systemd service file
>
> Vishwa,
>
> A few suggestions on your commit:
>
> 1. I see you put the files into .../network/files/ and moved them from
> .../network/network/ .  Why is that?

That is just an attempt to see if moving to files/ would do any magic.. I
moved them back to network/network/ now.

> 2. 'inherit obmc-phosphor-systemd' causes your recipe to import
> obmc-phosphor-systemd.bbclass.  This file has:
> ====
> inherit systemd
>
> SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} = "${BPN}.service"
> SRC_URI += " \
>     file://${BPN}.service \
>     "
>
> do_install_append() {
>     # install systemd unit files
>     install -d ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system
>     install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/${BPN}.service ${D}$
{systemd_unitdir}/system
> }
> =====
> This means a few things...
>     a. By setting SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} += "network.service", you're
>        actually getting network.service added twice.
>     b. network.service will be installed by this do_install_append
>        snippet, but network-update-dns.service will not.  I think you
>        need to 'install' it.
>     c. I'm surprised we don't 'install' everything in
>        SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} automatically or in this .bbclass.  Maybe
>        Brad can comment on why it is set up this way.
>
> 3. Before you made your change are we sure 'network.service' was
> working?  Hopefully someone has previously tested this but there is
> always the possibility that systemd is confused by 'network.service' vs
> 'network.target'.  Maybe 'network' is effectively a reserved word.

Since I see manual starting with "systemctl start network" is working, it
would not have an issue IMO.
Do you suggest a better name tho ?

> 4. There is no advantage to setting SYSTEMD_AUTO_ENABLE because it is
> already defaulted to 'enable'.

Correct. This is again with the hope that things may work. I removed this
in the next patch.