AST2500 support questions

Cédric Le Goater clg at kaod.org
Wed Jun 8 22:16:03 AEST 2016

On 06/07/2016 08:43 PM, Shay Slobodkin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Following the latest great news of adding support for AST2500 into main code, we boost up our work to align with yours.
>
> Several questions regarding our current status, appreciate the assistance hopefully it will be merged into openbmc code as well soon.
>

> 1. We were trying to fetch latest code from origin, hoping AST2500 will be inside already.
>
> After fetch, we couldn’t find the new AST2500 addition under:
>
> meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/ or meta-openbmc-machines/
>
> Is it held somewhere else, on a different git branch?
>

> 2. We have loaded ast2500-evb with aspped-ast2500-evb.dtb file on aspeed evb, but we faced some problems with DTB.
>
> We tried kernels 4.6 and 4.7 from:
>
> <https://github.com/shenki/linux/tree/dev-4.7>
>
> <https://github.com/openbmc/linux/tree/dev-4.6>

I have added these for the ramfs :

	CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA=y
	CONFIG_RD_LZMA=y
	CONFIG_SHMEM=y
	CONFIG_TMPFS=y
	CONFIG_DECOMPRESS_LZMA=y

and create the uImage as specified here :

	https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/kernel-development.md

do the same with the ramfs.

> We tried to boot it with uImage and separate DTB image using the command ‘bootm <KERNEL_ADDR> - <DTB_ADDR>’
>
> but the kernel seems to halt during boot, the only messages we got were:
>

> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 83000000 ...
>
>    Image Name:   Linux-4.7.0-rc1-12701-gca25849-d
>
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>
>    Data Size:    2102392 Bytes = 2 MiB
>
>    Load Address: 80800000
>
>    Entry Point:  80800000
>
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>
> ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 82000000
>
>    Booting using the fdt blob at 0x82000000

> OK

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>

> We added CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT to ast-g5.h and it allow us to get to boot with a separate DTB file (aspeed-ast2500-evb.dtb) as seen above.
>

> We also tried to boot zImage, we failed with the following message (for that we added CONFIG_CMD_BOOTZ to u-boot config):
>

> ast# bootz 0x83000000
>

> Our initial try, we received this output:
>

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> no ATAGS support: can't continue
>

> Then we added CONFFIG_ATAGS to kernel config and failed with the below:
>

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x000022b8).
>
> Available machine support:
>
> ID (hex)        NAME
>
> ffffffff        Generic DT based system
>
> ffffffff        ASpeed SoC
>

> Which u-boot command do you suggest for booting with DTB file?
>
> How did you guys managed to boot?
>

> 3. We saw in a latest updates that there is a new u-boot https://github.com/legoater/u-boot/tree/v2016.05-ast2500.
>
> Is it stable enough for using it?

That is what use. I could not boot a openbmc kernel with the original uboot,
probably because of how it  configured the HW. I did not investigate yet.

Cheers,

C.