AST2500 support questions

Shay Slobodkin shays at mellanox.com
Wed Jun 8 04:43:13 AEST 2016

Hi,

Following the latest great news of adding support for AST2500 into main code, we boost up our work to align with yours.
Several questions regarding our current status, appreciate the assistance hopefully it will be merged into openbmc code as well soon.

1. We were trying to fetch latest code from origin, hoping AST2500 will be inside already.
After fetch, we couldn't find the new AST2500 addition under:
meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/ or meta-openbmc-machines/
Is it held somewhere else, on a different git branch?

2. We have loaded ast2500-evb with aspped-ast2500-evb.dtb file on aspeed evb, but we faced some problems with DTB.
We tried kernels 4.6 and 4.7 from:
<https://github.com/shenki/linux/tree/dev-4.7>
<https://github.com/openbmc/linux/tree/dev-4.6>

We tried to boot it with uImage and separate DTB image using the command 'bootm <KERNEL_ADDR> - <DTB_ADDR>'
but the kernel seems to halt during boot, the only messages we got were:

## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 83000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-4.7.0-rc1-12701-gca25849-d
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2102392 Bytes = 2 MiB
   Load Address: 80800000
   Entry Point:  80800000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 82000000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x82000000
OK
Starting kernel ...
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

We added CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT to ast-g5.h and it allow us to get to boot with a separate DTB file (aspeed-ast2500-evb.dtb) as seen above.

We also tried to boot zImage, we failed with the following message (for that we added CONFIG_CMD_BOOTZ to u-boot config):

ast# bootz 0x83000000

Our initial try, we received this output:

Starting kernel ...
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
no ATAGS support: can't continue

Then we added CONFFIG_ATAGS to kernel config and failed with the below:

Starting kernel ...
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x000022b8).
Available machine support:
ID (hex)        NAME
ffffffff        Generic DT based system
ffffffff        ASpeed SoC

Which u-boot command do you suggest for booting with DTB file?
How did you guys managed to boot?

3. We saw in a latest updates that there is a new u-boot https://github.com/legoater/u-boot/tree/v2016.05-ast2500.
Is it stable enough for using it?

Thank you guys for the great support,