Issues with setting the timeofday

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Jul 8 05:13:36 AEST 2016

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 11:32:51AM -0700, Rick Altherr wrote:
> I'm unfamiliar with Barreleye.  Does the host use the BMC as an RTC?  Are
> the commands in the first post being run on the host or on the BMC?

Rick, good questions.

On all the current Power systems, the Host does not have its own RTC.  The
skiboot code will create an RTC for the kernel by using IPMI commands down
to the BMC.  They use the standard get-sel-time / set-sel-time IPMI
command for this.  Other-BMC systems already operated this way, and since
the Host firmware support was already there for other-BMC systems, we
implemented this same behavior on openBMC.  There are also other IPMI
commands that we implemented to emulate other-BMC behavior so as to not
require Host firmware changes for openBMC.

The commands Vishwa has below here are ran from the BMC.  The commands
in the Github issue are also ran from the BMC, but you will see a call
to '/tmp/ipmitool' there.  That is a development version of the ipmitool
that will call into the dbus stack as if the Host sent an IPMI message
through the BT interface.  Thus, 'ipmitool -l dbus sel time set ...' and
'ipmitool -l dbus sel time get' are emulating the behavior of the host,
while 'date' is interacting with the BMC's kernel time subsystem.