about fsp2 board

Alistair Popple alistair at popple.id.au
Wed Dec 21 10:45:53 AEDT 2016

Hi Ivan,

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:48:34 AM Joel Stanley wrote:
> Hello Ivan,
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Ivan Mikhaylov1 <ivan at de.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone, so probably everyone knows about fsp2 board existence that
> > is still using in P and Z systems, what we wanna do in case of Z series,
we
> > want to do same way as P doing right now with ast2400/2500. So we want to
> > port fsp2 board into upstream kernel and be a part of openbmc project.
> > Until now I'm just started to work with it. So if you see any
things/thougts
> > which we have to talk, pls tell us...
>
> Getting your kernel and u-boot patches upstream is something I support.
>
> I suggest you rebase your tree on the latest upstream (v4.9), and get
> it to boot with a simple userspace.
>
> Once you have that working then I suggest we get the essential drivers
> and architecture support upstream. This list might include serial,
> irq, ethernet, and device tree. The code will require rework to meet
> upstream kernel standards. You will also need to be come familiar with
> the tools used by the upstream kernel; git, patches and mailing lists.
> Read this documentation:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/development-process/index.html
>
> From there you can develop the rest of the drivers as you need them.
>
> Alistair (on cc) is the upstream maintainer for the PPC SoC the FSP2
> is based on, so your patches must go through his process before being
> merged by the PowerPC maintainer, and finally hitting Linus' tree.

Maintaining PPC476 architecture has been pretty low volume so I don't have a
separate git tree for the PowerPC maintainer to pull from. Instead patches
should be sent to linuxppc-dev at lists.ozlabs.org following the development
process above once you think they are ready for review/inclusion.

Note that much of the architecture support for 476 is already upstream. I'm
not sure the scope of what you're up-streaming here but if it involves patches
for other subsystems such as device drivers those patches will most likely
need to go upstream via the appropriate maintainers tree. The MAINTAINERS file
has a list of trees based on file name and get_maintainer.pl will provide
suggestions for a given patch.

Regards,

Alistair