Upstream patch submission checklist

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Dec 1 11:44:44 AEDT 2016

Hello Chris,

When we submit the fsi patches upstream we want to go through the
following checklist:

 - Base them on an upstream tag. We have chosen 4.9-rc1 in this case

 - Get your maintainers using ./scripts/get_maintainers.pl. In
addition to the list from this tool, cc them to:

   joel at jms.id.au
   jk at ozlabs.org
   andrew at aj.id.au
   alistair at popple.id.au
   benh at kernel.crashing.org
   linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org

 - Generate your patches with git format-patch
   * use the --to and --cc directives to attach the recipiants to the patches
   * use --cover-letter to generate a cover ltetter
  * As you've based them on an upstream tag, you should be able to do
use v4.9-rc1..HEAD as the range

 - Run your patches through ./scripts/checkpatch.pl and fix the issues mentioned

 - Build the kernel using, checking for warnings:
   * make aspeed_g4_defconfig
   * make aspeed_g5_defconfig
   * make multi_v5_defconfig
   * You will need to enable the FSI options after doing each make
       ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_FSI_MASTER_GPIO
       ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_FSI_SCOM
       ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_FSI_MBX
   * Seperately to testing the options as =y, you should test them as =m:
       ./scripts/config -m CONFIG_FSI_MASTER_GPIO
       ./scripts/config -m CONFIG_FSI_SCOM
       ./scripts/config -m CONFIG_FSI_MBX
  * Build for ARCH=arm as well as for ARCH=x86_64. Others will test
that the code compiles on all kinds of architectures, so you need to
make sure it doesn't generate warnings there.

 - Check that the patches apply to a clean tree
  * git checkout v4.9-rc1
  * git reset --hard
  * git clean -fd
  * Then apply the patches with git am ~/fsi-v1/*.patch

Cheers,

Joel