Document on : Time Manager in OpenBMC --> Need your review.

Rick Altherr raltherr at google.com
Tue Aug 23 09:44:05 AEST 2016

In the future, please just send the text inline instead of as an attachment.

I don't understand the setting hierarchy.  To me,
/org/openbmc/settings/Host/host0 implies I am modifying something related
to the host CPU, not the BMC.  TimeMode only applies to the BMC so having
it under host0 feels weird.

1. I like the clear separation of NTP vs manual.

2.1. "Both" seems like what we have today which doesn't really work at
all.  I suggest omitting it.  "Split" feels like it should work for all
cases.  If TimeMode is NTP, an offset is recorded.  If TimeMode is Manual,
the BMC time is set.

APIs:
1. What time zone does SetTime assume?  If UTC, make sure to add tests for
a valid leap second and leap year.
2. I really dislike APIs that change behavior.  Provide separate GetBmcTime
and GetHostTime APIs if you must.
3. SetNTP is a very limiting name.  if this really changes TimeMode, call
it SetTimeMode.  That way we can support things like 1588, GPS, etc later.

Changes to NetworkManager:
- I don't see the point of UseNTP for SetDHCP.  Configuring an NTP address
is different from using NTP as a time source.  It's up to the DHCP server
to provide NTP options.  Whether the BMC uses them is controlled by
TimeMode.
- Add a SetNtpServer API instead of adding to SetAddress4.  NTP is entirely
separate from IPv4 address configuration.