Memory barriers and spin_unlock safety

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Sun Mar 5 13:04:40 EST 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 11:58, you wrote:
> Linus Torvalds writes:
>
> > PPC has an absolutely _horrible_ memory ordering implementation, as far as
> > I can tell. The thing is broken. I think it's just implementation
> > breakage, not anything really fundamental, but the fact that their write
> > barriers are expensive is a big sign that they are doing something bad.
>
> An smp_wmb() is just an eieio on PPC, which is pretty cheap.  I made
> wmb() be a sync though, because it seemed that there were drivers that
> expected wmb() to provide an ordering between a write to memory and a
> write to an MMIO register.  If that is a bogus assumption then we
> could make wmb() lighter-weight (after auditing all the drivers we're
> interested in, of course, ...).

In the bcm43xx driver there is code which looks like the following:

/* Write some coherent DMA memory */
wmb();
/* Write MMIO, which depends on the DMA memory
 * write to be finished.
 */

Are the assumptions in this code correct? Is wmb() the correct thing
to do here?
I heavily tested this code on PPC UP and did not see any anormaly, yet.

--
Greetings Michael.