time runs too slow on maple

linas linas at austin.ibm.com
Tue Jan 10 03:53:28 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 05:13:48PM +0100, Olaf Hering was heard to remark:
> The maple board I have cant keep the time, even with ntpd running.
> According to this script, it loses 0.05 seconds each second.
> This happens with 2.6.15 and also 2.6.13.
>
> cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported

I don't understand timekeeping in the kernel, but consistently loosing
the same amount with every tick sounds like some sort of mis-calibration
during boot.

I don't entirely understand how ntpd works, but I thought it
tracked clock slew and adjusted for it. i.e. if a clock runs
consistently fast, or slow, ntpd is supposed to handle that
trivially.

--linas