Support for Bogus Net

Mike Kistler mkistler at us.ibm.com
Sun Jan 8 01:07:49 EST 2006

Thanks Arnd .... I understand now.  This looks good to me.

Regards,
Mike

Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>
01/06/2006 09:56 PM

        To:     Mike Kistler/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
        cc:     David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>, Eric V Van
hensbergen/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, ericvh at gmail.com, linuxppc64-dev at ozlabs.org,
Patrick Bohrer/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, rsa at us.ltcfwd.linux.ibm.com
        Subject:        Re: Support for Bogus Net

Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2006 04:20 schrieb Mike Kistler:
> Regarding the systemsim-add-systemsim.h patch, I notice that the XLC
forms
> (which are available in callthru_config.h) are not in the proposed
> systemsim.h file.  It would be nice to have these, protected by the
> appropriate ifdefs of course, to enable application development with
XLC.
> Otherwise, we'll need to continue to ship callthru_config.h with Mambo
and
> point users to this if they want to use XLC.

Would that be for compiling the kernel with XLC or for user space
applications
running in the simulated linux environment?

If I understand you correctly that this is about applications using the
callthru inlines, then they should use a differrent header file anyway.
Note
that the version I posted has everything wrapped inside '#ifdef
__KERNEL__',
so user applications can not use it.

That is absolutely intentional, as user applications should never directly

include kernel header files anyway. The correct solution would be to
either
include  a copy of the header file in the application using it or to
provide a separate package that installs a header file for user space into
$PREFIX/include. Shipping the file with mambo should be ok as well, but I
would suggest to make a clear separation of header files for use on the
host
side (the one running the simulator binary) and header files for the
target
side.

                 Arnd <><