[FYI/PATCH 2/4] enable control-c for IBM Full System Simulator

Utz Bacher utz.bacher at de.ibm.com
Tue Feb 21 04:33:39 EST 2006

Arnd Bergmann wrote on 20.02.2006 18:26:25:
> On Friday 17 February 2006 09:39, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > Utz Bacher writes:
> >
> > > +#ifndef CONFIG_PPC_SYSTEMSIM
> > >                       noctty = 1;
> > > +#endif
> >
> > Why is this awful hack necessary?
>

> It's not. It's just a workaround to boot systemsim without
> any sort of /sbin/init logic that sets ctty.
>
> I actually though we had removed that hack earlier.

The idea was to keep the system simulator environment very small, no login
etc. It shouldn't go really into a proper kernel. What we missed to point
out (probably for all of the four patches) and I take that, is that this
should be used when packages for such environments are built ready for
use,
like our friends at http://www.bsc.es/; it is however not a thing that
should go in somewhere else, the kernel or such, and finally should
disappear.

Utz

:wq