AW: Re: __setup_cpu_be problem

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Feb 15 10:25:47 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 03:14:47PM -0800, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Hollis Blanchard wrote:

> I guess what I am thinking of are cases like when the firmware has no
> clue and just uses defaults, or when the firmware or hypervisor
> expect the kernel to set what sizes work best for it.  In these
> cases a change needs to be initiated by the kernel.

But then give the firmware a clue, and fix it. For the partitioned
case, I'm sure you have ways for an alpha partition to define the
characteristics of a guest partition, and/or a small controller image
running in your hypervisor for similar purposes.

If the kernel needs to set "what works best for it", then you should
look into some of the ELF header flag stuff that IBM pSeries firmware
architects seems to love these days, it seems to be the preferred way
for the OS to tell firmware/hypervisor what it wants.

There should be no need to introduce yet another interface for this. There
are plenty of them already.

-Olof