AW: Re: __setup_cpu_be problem

Hollis Blanchard hollis at penguinppc.org
Wed Feb 15 09:31:49 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:27 -0600, Olof Johansson wrote:

> Isn't this something that should be configured in the hypervisor /
> partition firmware on the machine then, instead of hacked into the
> kernel? The hypervisor would of course switch HID contents when
> dispatching different partitions, if needed.

I agree with Olof; I don't follow the original leap of logic.

If every partition can have independent page size settings, and
especially if HID6 is a hypervisor-privileged resource as mentioned
earlier, then the hypervisor needs to set it. Only the hypervisor can
restore each partition's different HID6 value when it switches between
them...

-Hollis