question on ptep_clear_flush_dirty() for ppc64

Christopher Friesen cfriesen at nortel.com
Fri Feb 10 03:03:22 EST 2006

I notice that (at least for 2.6.10) ptep_clear_flush_dirty() for ppc64
simply does ptep_test_and_clear_dirty(), then calls flush_tlb_pending().

I want to call ptep_clear_flush_dirty() for a large number of pages
(tens of thousands) in an optimal manner--would it be legal for me to
call ptep_test_and_clear_dirty() for each page, then call
flush_tlb_pending() once at the end?  Are there any implications for SMP
machines?

The reason I ask is that in a small experiment I did this increased the
speed of a certain task by a factor of about 25%, which is significant
in our application.  I just wanted to make sure it was safe.

Thanks,

Chris