Altix SN2 2.6.16-rc1-mm5 build breakage (was: msi support)

Andrew Morton akpm at osdl.org
Sat Feb 4 16:08:07 EST 2006

Mark Maule <maule at sgi.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:27:42PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Andrew Morton <akpm at osdl.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > So it
> > >  looks like you've found a fix for a patch which isn't actually in -mm any
> > >  more.  I sent that fix to Greg the other day.
> >
> > Actually, gregkh-pci-altix-msi-support-git-ia64-fix.patch fix`es
> > git-ia64.patch when gregkh-pci-altix-msi-support.patch is also applied, so
> > it's not presently useful to either Greg or Tony.  I'll take care of it,
> > somehow..
> >

> I think what happened here is that I submitted a patchset for msi
> abstractions (and others posted a couple of subsequent bugfix incrementals),
> but these were not taken into the 2.6.16 base 'cause of their invasiveness.
> These patches touched the tioce_provider.c file.
>
> Then I submitted another patch which touched the tioce_provider.c file, and
> it looks like I probably based this file on the previous msi versions which
> were being held back, so in order for everything to build, you need all of
> the msi patches applied first.
>
> What's the preferred way to handle this ... fix the current ia64 build and
> then resubmit the msi patches relative to that base?

umm, tricky.  This situation doesn't arise very often.

What you could do is to prepare the patches against Tony's latest tree.
Then I can put them in -mm and Greg can drop them.  Once Tony merges up
with Linus I transfer the patches to Greg.

Or we put the patches into Tony's tree.

Either way - they'll be the same patches.  But it does mean that the
patches won't be merged into mainline until Tony merges up.  If that's a
problem then we'll need to think again.