[patch 0/3] systemsim patch cleanup

Eric Van Hensbergen ericvh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 01:54:41 EST 2006

These are a set of code cleanups based on Arnd's systemsim patch-set sent out
on January 14th.  This patch attempts to clean-up some of the issues with the
bogus network and bogus disk facilities of systemsim -- but is largely
cosmetic.

We had looked at incorporating the bogus devices into the IBM-maintained
virtualization drivers in the past, but at the time it didn't look like there
was a good match in the veth or the vscsi code -- the call-thru's would not
integrate as nicely as they did with the hvc console code.

The bogus disk and bogus network drivers are largely a stop-gap measure for
systems the simulator doesn't have complete device models for.  More
complete device models are already in the plans for systemsim-cell, which
will likely eventually replace the need for the "bogus" drivers.

As such, I'll maintain the existing bogus drivers out-of-tree in my git
repository on kernel.org (/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ericvh/systemsim.git)
Unless there are any objections, I'll continue cc:'ing the ppc64-dev list on
modifications to the patches.

   -eric