creating PCI-related sysfs entries

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Fri Feb 3 13:03:41 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:45:03PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt was heard to remark:
> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:08 -0600, linas wrote:
>
> > Hmm. But these slots are not hot-plugabble; should the arch
> > use the hotplug infrastructure even on those slots?
>
> If those are EEH slots, they should probably treated as hotplugable...
> after all, didn't we discuss back then that one strategy we could use
> for recovery simulating an unplug/replug to the driver along with a slot
> hard reset ?

Yes, and EEH does do that (in mainline, 10K times in a row,
last I tried). This email was in reference to the
layout of /sys/bus/pci/slots which seems to have only hotplug
slots in there; I am not yet sure why. Its possible John Rose
can shed some rapid insight?

--linas