creating PCI-related sysfs entries

Grant Grundler grundler at parisc-linux.org
Fri Feb 3 06:39:02 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:36:36AM -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Hmm. Not sure what you mean by "a peer".

Just at the same level of the architecture - i.e. a server like the others.

> pci config-space i/o is done through callbacks in the pci bus->ops
> structure. The PCI error recovery is done via callbacks in the pci dev
> structure.  Was there something you'd like to see done differently?

No. Each set of callbacks serves a different purpose.
The services/resources at the bus level are different from
those at the device level.

My guess is error handling/containment can abstract at the "bus" level
since we can't always guarantee "one device per slot" (think
multifunction devices).

> Given GregKH's remarks, it sounded like there was some interest in
> a "struct bus_host_bridge" abstraction, and I'd be willing
> to take a shot at that, provided there is general interest and
> general agreement.  I'm not quite sure what such a struct might
> contain, just yet, I'm just imagining it might be non-empty.

Yes, I agree don't have a better idea other than what I already
pointed out.

> I kept looking at AER, and could not figure out what to do
> with it.

I haven't either - other folks in HP "own" that.

grant