Maple freezing on PCI Target-Abort

jfaslist jfaslist at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 3 04:03:06 EST 2006

Hi,
We have designed our own IBM970fx motherboard which is a  (almost)clone
to the IBM Maple reference kit.
We are seeing that whenever a PIO read PCI cycle bound to the PCI bus
that is across the AMD8111 is ended w/ a target-abort, the whole system
freezes. The device signaling the TA is a PCI-VME bridge. It does so as
the address passed is invalid.

When the system hangs, using the service processor, I can access some
AMD8111, CPC925 registers from which I can draw the following conclusions:

1- The AMD8111 secondary status tells me the AMD8111 got a TA
2- The CPC925 status/command register (0cf8070010) tells me that the TA
error was forwarded to the CPC925.
3- The CPC925 APIEXCP register tells me that a DERR exception was signaled.

 From what I can read on the CPC925 and IBM970 cpu user manual, the DERR
is the bus error that is returned to the CPU by the CPC925 to let him
know that the cycle ended w/ an error. I have the following questions:

-What exception vector is taking care of a DERR excp? From what I can
see it seems to be the "machine check" vector. But that seems a bit
drastic to me. After all this is just a PCI target abort.
-I expect that the normal behavior would be for the kernel to send a
signal termination to the user process which caused the PIO READ PCI
cycle (from a previously mmap()'ed VMA address). Is it  doable on this
platform?  Since a READ operation is coupled by nature, I think this is
the only acceptable way.

I have tried to set the MSR[RI] bit before doing the PCI cycle, but it
didn't change change anything. Also on our design we disconnect the
CPC925 checkstop pin from the 970 machine check pin.(see page 39 of
cpc925 user's manual). So a DERR shouldn't cause a machine check I would
think.

I realize that these questions are very H/W related but couldn't find
the answer in IBM doc.

Thanks for the help,

--

Best regards,