Does iSeries actually use vmlinux.sm?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Fri Sep 23 04:42:32 EST 2005

I was doing some more cleanups to arch/ppc64/Makefile and I see
this line in the current ppc64-2.6.git:

 boottargets-$(CONFIG_PPC_ISERIES) += vmlinux.sminitrd vmlinux.initrd vmlinux.sm

But there is no make target to actually build vmlinux.sminitrd and
vmlinux.sm, and the only way to specify they be built is to put vmlinux.sm as a
target on the make command line.  'make' and 'make install' both will build
just vmlinux as here:

 bootimage-$(CONFIG_PPC_ISERIES) := vmlinux
 defaultimage-$(CONFIG_PPC_ISERIES) := vmlinux

My question is does PPC_ISERIES need these sm versions, and if so how to build
them, and if not, does a zImage and zImage.initrd make sense as build targets
for this platform?

-Geoff