[PATCH 0/4] kexec-tools-for-ppc64
sharada at in.ibm.com
Wed Sep 14 22:44:05 EST 2005
After the initial RFC on the kexec-tools for ppc64,
the hacks were cleaned up and this patchset now provides a
much cleaner kexec-tools support for ppc64.
The patch set includes the following:
- vmlinux is the accepted elf image for the kernel
- the v2wrap.S trampoline is built from within purgatory,
though we still use a simple add_buffer call to load it
- the tools can load a ramdisk, with a --ramdisk option
- the valid range of memory for locate_hole to use, is
generated from various properties within /proc/device-tree
- the configure script was modified to build 64-bit as
default for ppc64
- added an ld option to build purgatory as 64-bit (I am not
sure if we need this. Can perhaps be cleaned up)
The patch is against the kexec-tools-1.101 tarball.
It however requires the kexec-tools malloc problem patch to
be applied on kexec-tools-1.101 tarball, which can be found
The patch also requires the following patch in the kernel to
be able to obtain the valid memory ranges for kexec-tools to
work. The patch for 2.6.14-rc1 is here -
kexec -l <vmlinux-image> --ramdisk=<ramdisk-image>
(ramdisk is optional) loads the segments (vmlinux,
v2wrap+devtree, and ramdisk if provided in commanline)
kexec -e boots the system kexec-style
The patchset has been tested on power4 p630 and power5 p550 boxes (lpar and non-lpar modes) and seen to be working.
Request review, testing, comments on the patches.
Thanks and Regards,
More information about the Linuxppc64-dev