RFC: merging of cputables between ppc32/64

Kumar Gala kumar.gala at freescale.com
Fri Sep 9 04:42:34 EST 2005

I was hoping to get some idea on which direction we wanted to head
with cputable between ppc32/64.  The only major difference that
exists between the two is the use of cpu_setup().

On ppc32, cpu_setup is called for each processor in an SMP
configuration.  Which gives us the following signature:

typedef void (*cpu_setup_t)(unsigned long offset, int cpu_nr, struct
cpu_spec* spec);

On ppc64, cpu_setup is only called for the boot cpu.  It is left to
the cpu save/restore functions to handle setting up the state for
additional CPUs.  Which gives is the following signature:

typedef void (*cpu_setup_t)(unsigned long offset, struct cpu_spec*
spec);

So my question is do we just extend the ppc64 signature to match the
ppc32 by having a dummy "int cpu_nr" that is ignored or do we do
something else?  As far as I can tell cpu_nr is only used by ppc32 as
temp storage so that the cpu_setup functions can return properly.

- kumar