[RFC] patch to allow world readable /proc/ppc64/lparcfg

Nathan Lynch ntl at pobox.com
Tue Sep 6 15:04:18 EST 2005

Wim Coekaerts wrote:
> like to be able to read the lparcfg data from any user so we can make
> "intelligent" decisions based on underlying attributes when running in
> lpars. yes there's software that likes to do this :) and runs as
> non-root. I'm not sure if anyone has any issues with this but I'd say it
> would be pretty harmless.

Can you tell us more about which information in lparcfg is useful to
you?  Some of the fields in lparcfg duplicate information that is
already available in /proc/device-tree.  Furthermore, we could
have lparcfg display a useful subset of its info to non-root users.

> it's very similar to say VM where you can get CP to provide feedback of
> the real hardware inside a VM guest

Case in point, the machine's model number etc are in the device tree.