install BOOTIMAGE

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Oct 19 07:11:43 EST 2005

Olaf Hering wrote:
>  On Wed, Oct 05, Geoff Levand wrote:
>
>>With the way the current arch/ppc64/boot/Makefile (2.6.13) calls
>>install.sh, it seems 'make install' will always install vmlinux.
>>
>>It seems the proper behavior is for install.sh to install
>>BOOTIMAGE, which for all but iSeries is a kind of zImage.  Does
>>this change below cause problems for anyone?
>

> I dont think booting the zimage from the local hard disk should be
> prefered over the plain vmlinux.

Sorry for the late reply, I was out on holiday.

It seems queer to me to pass BOOTIMAGE to install.sh just so we can
copy vmlinux to BOOTIMAGE.  In the case of BOOTIMAGE=zImage, we get
vmlinux copied to a file named zImage -- very queer.

I guess what I want is for this to work when I build on my PC:

$ make INSTALL_PATH=/target/g5/boot install

And I get the proper image file zImage.vmode in
/target/g5/boot/zImage.vmode, not vmlinux named
/target/g5/boot/zImage.vmode.

-Geoff