Handling of alignment exceptions of load/store multiples

Becky Bruce becky.bruce at freescale.com
Thu Oct 13 07:21:05 EST 2005

Paul & company,

I'm currently in the process of merging align.c into
arch/powerpc/kernel.  I noticed that there's a difference in the
handling of alignment exceptions involving ld/st string instructions
and ld/st multiple instructions between the 2 architectures right now.
The 32-bit code does some handling of these, while the 64-bit version
currently just bails out.

Should I try to adopt a handling model for these in the merged tree
like the 32-bit code, or is there a reason behind not attempting to
handle these on the 64-bit side that I'm not aware of?

Cheers!
-B