pcnet32 does not use the PROM address on powerpc

Olaf Hering olh at suse.de
Sat Oct 8 20:47:25 EST 2005

Does anyone remember why ppc is handled special in pcnet32_probe1()?
It as added to Linus tree around 2.6.14, I dont find relevant patches in
our bugzilla. It was likely added during early ppc64 bringup.

google doesnt know the patch submitter, perhaps jgarzik has some old
records from around 2000/2001?

I have a 44p 270, which gets all 0xFF as MAC address if I power if off
and on again. Further reboots do not fix it.
But it does get the correct one if I boot into SMS and do a netboot,
further reboots will always get the correct MAC address

I think these 0xFF happen also on other systems, I have seen them on B50
as well. We should just remove the #ifdef.

    if (memcmp(promaddr, dev->dev_addr, 6)
        || !is_valid_ether_addr(dev->dev_addr)) {
#ifndef __powerpc__
        if (is_valid_ether_addr(promaddr)) {
#else
        if (!is_valid_ether_addr(dev->dev_addr)
            && is_valid_ether_addr(promaddr)) {
#endif
            if (pcnet32_debug & NETIF_MSG_PROBE) {
                printk(" warning: CSR address invalid,\n");
                printk(KERN_INFO "    using instead PROM address of");
            }
            memcpy(dev->dev_addr, promaddr, 6);
        }
    }