simpleTemp.py

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Nov 29 07:59:52 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:48 +0100, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:23:07PM +0000, Chris O'Toole wrote:
> > First off, I had to amend the program slightly because my machine has 3 fans
> > wheras your program only deals with 2 (probably you have a different rev). I
> Ah well, so you have a harddrive fan -- on my machines I couldn't
> find one.  I don't think it really makes sense to include that guy in
> the main control loop.
>
> I guess one should rather find the temperature sensor on that device
> (unfortunately, I'm told it's not accessible as easily as the two SMU
> sensors simpleTemp handles) and do a control loop for this sensor and
> the hard disk temperature.
>
> Or, just let the HD fan spin slowly (see below)...

Or just use 2.6.15-rc2 which contains full in-kernel thermal control,
including all the fancy i2c bits & pieces, cpu speed clamping, etc...
for iMac G5 rev 1 and 2 (check out CONFIG_WINDFARM).

> Nor do I -- I just guessed.  benh says the limits are hidden
> somewhere in the smu partitions, but I haven't bothered to get them
> out of there.

Besides, some of the SMU partitions aren't exposed in the device-tree
before you actually go request them, which only my recent patches added
a way to do.

> Note that benh already has code that does this stuff sensibly, it's just
> that the patches are against kernels that aren't published as far as
> I can see, which is why I never came to test them and decided to wait
> for their inclusion in some mainline kernel.

The patches I initially published are against 2.6.14, but it's been
merged in 2.6.15-rc2.