ppc64 oops..

Hugh Dickins hugh at veritas.com
Wed Nov 16 16:05:05 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Not that I'm any sort of a VM expert, but it seems to me that we need
> some sort of way to mark things like the hashed page table on PowerPC
> as being "special" memory that is there, but that the VM system should
> just completely ignore.

At any time, most memory is in use for one purpose or another, and
should not be interfered with by anything other than the subsystem
that owns it at that point.  Please explain what's so "special"
about your hashed page table.  Do you mean that that memory is
set aside at initialization time, and it's a big disaster if it
were mistakenly freed, or something else?  Or it's not RAM?
Excuse my ignorance.

Hugh