ppc64 oops..

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Nov 15 18:01:00 EST 2005

> No, looks like a ppc64 memory setup bug, altough it's quite possibly
> brought on by the PageReserved() removal in the VM layer.
>
> Andrew, Nick, Hugh, I really think that removing that "PageReserved()"
> test from the page freeing functions was a mistake. I think I'm going to
> add it back in.
>
> I bet this happens on all the other architectures too. The bootup has
> marked pages reserved, and then frees them all. It used to be that the VM
> just silently skipped the reserved pages, now it will add them to the free
> lists..

Well, there are two interesting things here: One is the fact that the
kernel seem to didn't get the right value for the top of RAM (can you
send me a tarball of your /proc/device-tree so I can see what open
firmware exactly tells us please ?) and the other one is that we tried
to manipulate the IO hole as if it was memory (on this machine ,the
region between 2G and 4G is IOs)

Also, can you send me the entire dmesg so I can see what our early setup
code thinks about the physical memory ?