ppc64 oops..

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Tue Nov 15 17:30:17 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Yep, looks that way.  I wonder why it hits 0xc0000000ff000000 before
> (e.g.) 0xc0000000fffff000?

I think it just puts the lists within a buddy size in reverse order
(actually, it builds them up in ascending order, but then just pops them
off, so it pops the high blocks first). But then when it splits a buddy
block, it takes the first part of it and releases the rest in the lower
order lists.

> Hmmm, the lmb structure that do_init_bootmem uses should have two
> entries, and we should be doing free_bootmem(0, 2G) and
> free_bootmem(4G, 2G), which I would have thought would do the right
> thing.  A printk in there (arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c) would tell us...

I'm just about to boot something that added some printk's to mm/bootmem.c
that should be equivalent. But then I'm really turning in.

		Linus