ppc64 oops..

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Tue Nov 15 17:22:20 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

> It's worth seeing if that fixes it.

The trivial patch didn't seem to fix it, and looking at the bootmem code I
decided that maybe it shouldn't have ;)

But I didn't undo all of it, so maybe it should have worked after all, and
I just didn't do everything (I didn't do page_is_buddy() etc, I just
added them back into the page freeing paths).

> I'm hankering to back out the whole thing - it just has too many
> problems for now.  But Hugh's busily working on things and I thought it
> best to leave it a couple of days until he has a verdict.

Yeah. I'll give up for today, and look at it tomorrow.

I think getting rid of PageReserved() was the right thing from a page
table traversal standpoint: every time I see a code-path that removes a
check for PageReserved() and replaces it with a VM_IO check or similar, it
looks fine.

I just think that people went too far in thinking that PageReserved itself
was somehow wrong. It's great for the Zero page, and it's great for kernel
pages in general (and things like the ISA hole on x86).

			Linus