please pull the powerpc-merge.git tree

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Sat Nov 12 09:13:21 EST 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Yes, well, that's what Paul asked you a couple of days ago :) Wether you
> will give us a few more days after the official 2 weeks limit to finish
> merging the remaining bits that are still in arch/ppc64 and
> include/asm-ppc64 and remove arch/ppc64 completely or not :) Hopefully,
> we should be able to be over sometimes next week.

Well, since right now ppc64 doesn't work at all, I think that's pretty
moot ;/

Since building with "make ARCH=powerpc" _does_ work for me, and since the
biggest section of ppc64 machines by far would likely be G5's and other
machines where that merge is tested, I think the thing to do is just call
it a fait accompli, and just say that ppc64 is dead.

But I was going to release a -rc1 today (unless Andrew), and I do want
things to just "work". So for me the question there is whether I just do
the one-liner Makefile thing to force "ppc64" -> "powerpc", or whether you
can get me a quick patch that gets ppc64 going again.

I don't care terribly which way it goes, and if ppc64 ends up disabled in
-rc1 and dying off entirely during -rc2, that's ok by me.

But if it's enabled in -rc1, then I want it enabled in the final too. I
don't want to kill a sub-arch after -rc1, that would be against the whole
point of the modern definition of -rc1.

So kill it off now, or kill it off after 2.6.15, that's what the choice
boils down to.

		Linus