powerpc: Move hvconsole files to drivers/char

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Fri Nov 11 22:02:11 EST 2005

David Gibson writes:

> At present the code for the pSeries hypervisor console is split
> between drivers/char and arch/ppc64/kernel for no terribly good
> reason.

It's split like that so that the bit that does the hypervisor call is
in the arch code where it should be, and so that it can be replaced by
other get/put character methods on other systems.

>  Thus, this patch moves hvconsole.c and hvcserver.c from
> arch/ppc64/kernel to drivers/char.  That lets us also move hvconsole.h
> and hvcserver.h from include/asm-ppc64 to drivers/char.

I think arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries sounds like a better place.  If
we find more than just pSeries using these interfaces we may have to
think about an arch/powerpc/platforms/papr or something.

Paul.