dlpar problem on sles9/openpower

John Rose johnrose at austin.ibm.com
Thu Nov 3 03:40:06 EST 2005

Hi Ingvar-

> On the lpar "mgmt", running sles9 sp2 kernel 2.6.5-7.193-pseries64, we
> have the magic rpms from IBM installed:
>
> evlog-drv-tmpl-0.8-1
> diagela-1.3.0.0-6
> lsvpd-0.12.7-1
> ppc64-utils-2.5-2
> librtas-1.2-1

I assume that you have the rpa-dlpar package as well, since you said
DLPAR worked at an earlier point. :)

I would check two things.  First, check the dmesg for any blurbs around
the time of the failure.  Second, use "rpttr
/var/ct/IW/log/mc/IBM.DRM/trace".  The output from this includes much
gibberish, but the translated hex strings can include the inputs to the
"drmgr" command and any error messages.  Check near the bottom of the
file.  Unfortunately, the HMC annoyingly hides error messages for DLPAR
of virtual adapters, so we have to dig here.

Good luck-
John