book e idea

Ralph Blach rcblach at blach.dnsalias.org
Tue May 31 22:19:20 EST 2005

I had this idea for the book e  44x processors.

Given that book E processors are really 33 bit processors,
could the OS be run in translation state 0, and and the users in
translation state 1?

The advantage to this would be is that user task could have true 4 gb
addressing on a and so could the kernel.

This would eliminate the tuning between the virtual address of the
kernel and user space.

The disadvantage would be that the os would be slower.

This is just an idea, and I admitt it might NOT be practical, but
here it is anyway.

Chip