panic reboot stuck in rtas_os_term

Jake Moilanen moilanen at austin.ibm.com
Thu May 26 03:53:52 EST 2005

> What is the purpose of ibm,os-term anyway?
> I just noticed that a POWER4 lpar did not reboot after a panic.
> Thats clearly not the way panic=$bignum was designed.
> Can we make ppc_md.panic optional please?

ibm,os-term is used to tell RTAS that the OS has finished normal
operation.  RTAS will enact the service policy at that point (for
example on old systems it would "call home").

I remember finding a bug (which I thought I fixed) that fixed a problem
w/ the schedule timeout in the panic code: Novell 75391.

Jake