[U-Boot-Users] RFC: Booting the Linux/ppc64 kernel without Open Firmware HOWTO

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Fri May 20 05:37:31 EST 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 03:18:41PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk was heard to remark:

> It's not only an issue of being smart enough. It has also a lot do to
> with hardware restrictions. If you have a product that sells  several
> 1e4 or 1e5 units per year which now works with just 4 MB of flash for
> boot loader and Linux kernel and application code you have hard times
> to  explain  that  the next software generation will need bigger (and
> more expensive) flashes just because of using more elegant code.
>
> Yes, small *is* beautiful.

:-/ I was once very disatisfied with an earlier job I had because the
boss kept trying to make me use a "rabbitcore" which had only 1MB for
everything, and there was no way I'd be able to fit Linux into that.

Rabbitcore ran some tiny thing called rabbitOS, but the tools were all on
windows. :(  This was only in 2003, and I still see adds for the rabbit
in magazines.

--linas