RFC: Booting the Linux/ppc64 kernel without Open Firmware HOWTO (#2)

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu May 19 17:46:43 EST 2005

On Dunnersdag 19 Mai 2005 06:56, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>   d) the /memory node(s)
>   Required properties:
>
>     - name : has to be "chosen"

s/chosen/memory/

>   c) The /chosen node
>
>     - linux,platform : This is your platform number as assigned by the
>       architecture maintainers

Does this mean you want a new platform number for every board type?
I would guess that it might be easier to extend the maple platform
to support all boards with ppc970 and similar CPUs (except the
pmac and pSeries ones), just like I would like to extend the BPA
platform for all Cell based systems.

>   This is all that is currently required. However, it is strongly
>   recommended that you expose PCI host bridges as documented in the
>   PCI binding to open firmware, and your interrupt tree as documented
>   in OF interrupt tree specification.

AFAICS, the pci device tree is currently required if you want to
use an IOMMU or if you want PCI-X or PCIe style devices with
extended PCI config space. I wouldn't be surprised if other
functionality also depends on it.

	Arnd <><