io_block_mapping in PPC64?

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Tue May 17 13:26:46 EST 2005

Tzachi Perelstein writes:

> [Tzachi]: I do not use device-tree. Our Linux is loaded by U-Boot which
> first time supports the IBM-970FX and first time executed in 64-bit
> mode. There is no real need for such complex structures when loaded by
> U-Boot. If you want ppc64 architecture to be spread to embedded systems
> too you should avoid such restrictions.

As maintainer I will not accept patches to make Linux run on new PPC64
machines without a device tree.  It's not hard to create a device
tree; it can be supplied as a binary blob by the boot loader, and
there are tools to create the blob from a text representation.  We
will do far better by standardizing on one representation for system
information at this stage than we would by replicating the rat's nest
that we have in ppc32.

Paul.