Patch to kill ioremap_mm

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sat May 7 13:37:13 EST 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 11:21:30AM -0500, John Rose wrote:
> <apologies for resend>
>
> Hi David-
>
> Given that we use a separate allocation scheme for imalloc mappings,
> does it make sense to lump these into the vmalloc mm_struct, and to
> share the vmalloc address space?  This saves lines of code, but is it as
> clear as the existing (separate) layout?

In a word: yes.  As Ben's explained this can be a first step to
greatly simplifying the imalloc stuff.  But even without that, there's
absolutely no good reason to have two different sets of pagetables for
the kernel unlike every other architecture.  init_mm provides a
perfectly good virtual memory space, let's use it, instead of
pointlessly duplicating stuff and complexifying the hash path.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson