Hello - struggling to compile on PPC64

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Wed Mar 30 08:48:20 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:06:49PM -0800, Darren Critchley was heard to remark:

> I uploaded the source and buildscript to the VLP box. I have made some
> changes to the build scrip to recognize that it is running on PPC and
> that the target will be PPC.
> It builds the first few programs: sed-4.0.9, m4-1.4, bison-1.875,
> flex-2.5.4a, binutils-2.15.90.0.3, and when gcc-3.3.3 tries to build it
> ends with this error:
> /tools/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: powerpc:common
> architecture of input file `/usr/lib/crti.o' is incompatible with
> powerpc:common64 output

Well, (I am not a toolchain expert) but
powerpc:common is the 32-bit environment, and
powerpc:common64 is the 64-bit.

Double check that /usr/lib/crti.o was rebuilt recently, instead of being
something old  lying around ...

(I am not a toolchain expert) but, historically I have found that
building the toolchain on any arch (not just i386) always required
extensive hacking around of a rather ugly and hair-pulling sort.
Its possible that its gotten easier over the years, but ... maybe not.

Are you *sure* your need to build your own compiler?  Using the
provided compiler & assembler might make life a lot easier for you...

--linas