[RFC][PATCH] start seperating DISCONTIGMEM and NUMA
jschopp at austin.ibm.com
Tue Mar 22 10:52:21 EST 2005
Dave and I agree that CONFIG_NUMA and CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM are often
confused. Yet try as we might it is an almost impossible task to
detangle them in one go. But we need to start detangling them, for two
1. You can currently configure CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM without CONFIG_NUMA;
in fact it is the default on ppc64.
2. CONFIG_SPARSEMEM will soon be an optional NUMA memory manager and
will probably altogether replace CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM sometime after that.
The attached patch splits up include/asm-ppc64/mmzone.h into into a few
1. CONFIG_NUMA or CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM. Some of this should be only one
or the other, but right now is too difficult to disentangle properly.
2. CONFIG_NUMA this is actually only needed when NUMA is really on and
can be seperated now.
3. CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM this is actually only needed with
CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM is on and can be seperated now.
4. CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM && !CONFIG_NUMA this is for DISCONTIG to fake
some of the numa stuff that isn't on.
The patch has been compiled and booted (on a pSeries LPAR) with
DISCONTIGMEM off, DISCONTIGMEM on and NUMA off, and DISCONTING and NUMA on.
If there are no objections I'd like this to go upstream.
Signed-off-by: Joel Schopp <jschopp at austin.ibm.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the Linuxppc64-dev